Home Forums Laundromats Emptying change machines

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Berry
    Keymaster

How is everyone. I’m new to this particular forum. I have been looking into laundromats for years now. I currently work full time and reside in Philadelphia. I am pretty much alone here in Philly, but i was curious as to what people or an individual like me would do if i were to go on vacation for a week or two. From what i understand the change machines typically need to be emptied 1 to 2x a week. Is there any alternative, if I’m not present to empty them? Are there verifiable companies that could empty the machines, machines that hold more money where i wouldn’t have to empty them as much…….or would i be stuck relying on a trust worthy friend or family member to do it in my absence?

Victoria Vescova
      Participant

New York Laundrymat owner here over 20 years in the business and 10 locations.

I’m also an avid traveler. Personally, I do not leave change machine keys with in store laundry attendants. The payment option in my Laundrymat drastically dictates the amount of time I could take on vacation or what my options are for what I do.

I have a few hybrid stores which means credit card and coins. These are by far my most profitable stores. The stores that are coin list do not need attention. The stores that I have that are completely coin can only go for about four days. Before I leave for vacation I test every hopper. Make sure everything is operating perfectly and fill to the brim. If I know I’ll be gone for a little longer than four days. I will stop by my local bank and I will pick up $1000 in quarters in a bank box. Weighs about 50 pounds, quarters come in rolls, so it is easy to count the remaining afterwards and calculate how much cash I should be receiving back. These quarters are left with the attendant in case the change Mechines go out she can exchange the quarters for Bills. Depending on how many boxes I drop off this is only a temporary solution until I get back. But don’t forget the change boxes can only hold so much.

I have gone on vacations before with my family. If it’s something like a week and a half getaway. I will sacrifice one day to fly back to New York to empty out and refill the change Mechines and fly back that same night to return to my family and my vacation. Some people can find a trusted person to take care of this for them but unfortunately, it’s something you can’t really trust people to take care of for you. Money can make people do crazy things and it’s truly just a risk and liability overall. Hope my advice and experiences help you in anyway. Good luck!

scooby davis
        Participant

go to coins!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.